If your boiler breaks down, naturally you would want some immediate action to fix the problem. Whether it’s an emergency or not, a broken boiler is never fun. It means you and your family won’t have hot water and heating. When a boiler breaks down, you have a few options…
#1: Ask your energy company to help
You can always ask your energy provider to repair the boiler. It’s one way of finding qualified heating engineers to diagnose the problem and fix it. Most households don’t go with this option because it’s expensive. Before you call your energy provider straight away, you might want to try these:
- Check the warranty for the boiler. If the boiler is under warranty, the manufacturer will be responsible for faulty parts. Keep in mind if something other than the parts are broken, then the warranty will not cover the repairs.
- See if your boiler is covered under your home insurance.
- If you live in a rented space, your landlord is responsible for boiler repairs. You won’t don’t have to worry about finding a boiler repair company.
#2: Use your boiler cover
This is your second option. If you have taken out a boiler cover, you won’t have to worry about finding a boiler repair company, to begin with. Just call your provider, make a claim and they will send a heating engineer to your place.
The average cost of a boiler cover is £242 per year. A boiler cover doesn’t just cover the cost of boiler repairs but annual boiler service as well. Some boiler cover plans also include pipes and radiators.
If don’t want to hire your energy firm because they are expensive and you don’t have boiler cover either, you have no choice but to look for a boiler repair company.
Looking for a Boiler Repair Company – The Right Approach
A good boiler repair company has heating engineers who have what it takes to ensure your boiler starts working perfectly. Many boiler repair companies might be working in your area and this makes it hard to pick the right one. With this approach, you will be able to find the right one:
Do your research: One of the best ways of finding a good boiler repair company is through word of mouth. Before doing a Google search, ask your friends, co-workers or family members for recommendations. With their first-hand experience, they will be able to tell you something about the quality of their services.
If you have asked around and didn’t receive any recommendations, now it’s a good time to start your online research. Take a look close at the website and the services of at least 3 boiler specialists in your local area. List down what they are offering, their operating hours, and service charges. This will help you in making a comparison.
Check gas safety: Once you have identified the company that you are interested in, make sure it’s Gas Safe registered. Being Gas Safe register means the company is legally allowed to work on gas appliances. When a company is Gas Safe Register, it does not mean it has paid to be qualified. The engineers of the company have to take a test to get the license. Hence, getting Gas Safe engineers makes it certain that the individuals have received training to work on a boiler and other gas appliances.
Look at their manufacturer partner: Every boiler repair company has a manufacturer partner. This is a good way of telling the quality of the services you are choosing. If they install boilers of big brands such as Vaillant and Worcester Bosch, it means you can trust them. This also tells you how much a company values quality for its customers.
Cost of services: A reliable boiler repair company will be transparent about their charges. They will let you know if there are separate call-out charges, parts, and labour. They will also explain how to choose the right service according to your needs without spending a large sum of money.
Get a feel of their customer support: Every customer wants to be assured the boiler repair company acknowledges their problem and realizes that they don’t want to be without heat or hot water. If their customer support is not good, there is no point in hiring the services of that particular company. It’s an indication that the company doesn’t care about its customers.
Before You Finally Choose A Boiler Repair Company ….
Usually, you will be able to find out the following information on the website of the boiler repair company. If not, give them a call and ask these before requesting a call-out:
Gas safe license: Don’t just believe them when they say they are Gas Safe registered. You have every right to ask them about their license number. Verify their license number to be sure they are qualified for the job. Gas Safe Register allows you to enter the license number of an engineer and verify if they are actually gas safe. Experience
- Experience counts. Therefore, check how long the boiler repair company has been around. Don’t just go to a new company that has only been working for 2 years or so.
- You also have to be sure the heating engineer you are getting is experienced. The longer they have been in the industry, the more they are familiar with common boiler problems. They will bring you quick and cost-effective solutions.
- It’s worth ensuring the company and its heating engineers are qualified for the job.
Boiler specialists : Finding heating companies in your area is easy. The only problem is not all of them are specialists. A plumbing and heating company might not be an expert in fixing boilers or identifying faults. Hence, look for a company that specializes in fitting and repairing boilers. If you are able to find a company that’s an accredited installer of a specific boiler brand that is even better.
Fast turnaround: Some boiler repair companies become exceptionally busy during peak season. If you are a new customer, you will be at the end of the queue. This could be a problem if you need emergency services.
Look for a company that prioritizes emergencies. Reliable companies don’t leave you in the cold. You need such a company that sticks with you from the diagnosis to the repair. They shouldn’t leave you without heating or hot water.
Extra charges for call-outs: Make sure the boiler company does not charge an upfront fee every time you call-out an engineer. There shouldn’t be any flat call-out fee either. They should be able to visit your place, identify the fault and give a price quote by explaining the problem and its solution.
Easy to contact: It’s a bad sign if the company keeps leaving your call in the queue whenever you reach out to them. It’s worse if don’t receive an answer at all. Make sure you get through their landline number and speak to a representative every time you need help. They must be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week because boilers can break down anytime. Test their customer service by calling them. If you get in touch with someone without stress, it’s a sign you can rely on the company.
Records of repair: Reputable boiler repair companies always keep a record of the repairs performed. This is incredibility important if you want a record of annual boiler service to keep your warranty valid or if you are a landlord.
Choose a company that will keep records of the repairs and services performed for at least 2 years. They must be willing to provide you those records as and when you need them.
Questions to Ask a Boiler Repair Company
There is a list of common questions you must ask a boiler company when you evaluating your options:
- Do they offer a free consultation? Getting a free consultation is highly important. It’s not just a way to have your boiler inspected but to learn about the competency of the heating engineer. Take this opportunity to ask the engineer about the amount of work required to repair the boiler. The way they answer you will let you know if they can offer quality services.
- What are the qualifications of their engineers? Typical qualifications of engineers include City and Guilds Qualifications, NVQ course, APHC membership, etc.
- Don’t be afraid to ask supplementary questions. Established companies don’t mind addressing the concerns of their potential clients. They make sure they offer the best customer services to please their clients.
- Do they use genuine parts? Some repairs will involve replacing parts of the boiler. You must ask the company if they will use genuine parts. It’s great if they offer a warranty for the parts and services as well.
- Can I get an estimate on the repair? Once the engineer visits your place to inspect the boiler, they should be able to give you a quote for the repair. It is best to know the price of the service so that you don’t get a higher bill with unexpected charges.
- Do they have insurance? Always hire a company that has liability insurance. Sometimes, engineers cause expected damage to the property while performing repairs. If the company is insured, they will be liable to pay for the damages. Otherwise, you will be responsible for this expense.
- Can I see the license? Engineers from trusted companies never hesitate in showing their license. They understand it’s a part of the process and they are happy to show it.
- The answers to these questions will put your mind at ease. You will know the company you are dealing with is reliable. If you are happy with their quote and customer support, hire their services right away.
Stick to a Local Boiler Repair Company
You will hardly get a competitive quote from big names in the boiler repair industry. Households don’t want to spend a large portion of their income on boiler repairs. In this case, it’s ideal to call a local boiler repair company for help. Local companies also partner with reliable manufacturers. Their services are cheaper because they don’t have big overheads. Here are some benefits of going local:
They care about their reputation
Local companies are extremely cautious about their reputation. They are willing to go the extra mile to offer exceptional services to their customers. They take their jobs seriously.
They give honest advice
Local engineers give honest advice to their clients. For instance, if repairing the boiler will not improve its condition, they will recommend you to get a replacement. They won’t waste your time and money by fixing something irreparable.
They are available around the clock
Unlike national companies that make you wait in the queue, local companies don’t. They make sure you get an engineer especially if your boiler problem is urgent. You won’t be left in despair.
They offer tailored services
When you hire a large brand for boiler repairs, you have to adjust yourself according to the expectations they have laid down. On the other hand, when you hire a local company, you get tailored services.
Even if it’s peak season, you will still get a heating engineer to come and perform repairs on your boilers. Having a company, you can trust that’s willing to offer tailored advice is something all households would appreciate.
When you are hiring someone to work on your boiler, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Make sure the engineer sent by the boiler repair company is experienced, gas safe registered, and they have a fast turnaround in an emergency. Thoroughly evaluate their services and charges before hiring them. Ask the questions mentioned above and aim for satisfactory answers. Don’t settle for anything less than qualified heating engineers from a reliable boiler repair company.
It’s best if you have the number of at least two reliable boiler repair companies in your address book. If one is not available, you can immediately call the other one to arrange a heating engineer.